THE OLD CASTLE
The old castle in Corfu is one of the most famous sites in the island. Its historic route identifies with the historic route of the island. From the two tops of the castle the island was initially named Corfu.
The first fortification of the castle is dated from the 8th century, while its current feature during Enetic times. These strong fortifications withstood the siege from Turkish and held them away from the island. After the 1537 siege, Enetics fortified the castle for 42 whole years (1546-1588), made it inexpugnable and gave it its today feature.
The fortification of the castle has three different levels: the highest, which has two rocks, the middle looking to Spianada square and the foothills of the Tower of Sea and the lowest that surrounds cape Kaposidero.
The castle is connected to the town with a long metal bridge of 60m length. This bridge replaced the old moving bridge that was above the marine fosse (contra fossa). Right across the bridge is the grandiose entrance that impresses every visitor, as it is in a good condition, and the old wooden door with clefts to pass the chains for the suspension of the bridge. Inside the Old Castle is the church of Saint John. It is a building of english style that distinguishes for its pillars of Doric rhythm. From this church begins the procession of sepulchral in the Holy Friday. The sepulchral of Saint John is the first in row.
Apart from the historic-archaeological interest, the castle is ideal for long walks. The panoramic view towards the old city will offer you magic pictures to fill your photo album.
THE NEW CASTLE
The New Castle or Castle of Saint Markos, as it's officially named, is the second most important fortress of the town. It was built by Enetics during the period 1572 to 1645, a bit after the second siege from the Turkish. The works to circumvalate the castle were finished by French and then English.
It is located in the hill of Saint Markos and protected the town from the west side, while it has a spectacular view to the old port.
It is consisted by two twin ramparts and it is considered an architectonic miracle. Highly impressive are the two gates that are saved almost intact and have the emblem of Galinotatis, the winged lion of Saint Markos.
The New Castle, apart from its defensive role during the Enetic domination and the later disturbed times in protecting the residents, had an important role in the island's later history. During the Second World War was a lair for the residents as its arcades were used as shelters.
Today it is considered one of the architectonic masterpieces in Corfu.