The monastery is built in a beautiful location. It was named after the green gardens in the region, exploited by monks, in order to make worth living. It was built during the 17th century. Inside the church you will see many after-Byzantine icons and various ecclesiastic heirlooms. Also in the monastery are saved the remains and the heads of various Saints. Very close to the monastery is the church of Saint Paraskevi of Tafion and Drakospilia.
Today it operates as a male monastery.
SAINT ANDREAS MONASTERY
The Byzantine monastery of Saint Andreas is located in Peratata. At first the monastery was dedicated to Panagia of Milapidia.
The monastery’s church is decorated with beautiful murals. It is worth visiting the ecclesiastic museum, operating since 1988. There is saved the left foot of Saint Andreas. You can still see the ventage from the drop shot of his crucifixion.
The monastery is roofed under the Monastery’s old catholic, the only building saved by the severe earthquakes of 1953.
Today it operates as a female monastery.
It is the most ancient monastery of Kefalonia. It was built during the 8th century in a height of 760m. It has the shape of a fortress and is still saved in a pretty good condition. Holy Klimis was here. The monastery suffered a lot of catastrophes from the 1956 earthquakes.
According to tradition the monastery was built during the 13th century by the Frankish of Assizi. The name Sissia is a paraphrase of word Assizi. In the monastery’s church are saved important byzantine icons. Distinguishes “Panagia of Sission” painted during the 13th century.
The monastery was established at the end of the 15th century and according to historic sources was destroyed from the earthquakes in the next century. It was later renovated and operates until our days as a female monastery.
The monastery is only 3km from Lixouri. It was built after a miracle of Panagia. It is said that a shepherd was herding his sheeps in the place that the monastery is today. Suddenly a ram escaped from the herd and went to fountain near a fig. The shepherd followed it, found the icon of Panagia on the fig and took it home. But the icon returned in the place he had found it. Then people decided to build a church in this location.
The foundation of this monastery is also connected to the finding of an icon of Panagia. In 1722, two shepherds and their maid found the icon of Panagia. A little later was built the monastery in the same location.
After the finding of this icon all three f them decided to be monks. In this monastery preached Saint Kosmas Etolos during his tour in Sami.