Ermoupoli, the baronial capital of Syros and of Cyclades islands, enchants visitors. As the ship approaches her port, the densely populated city, welcomes her visitors and promises them unforgettable holidays.
The city is built amphitheatrically on the hill with view to Aegean sea.
The biggest part of the city was structured after the Revolution of 1821 from fugitives that came to the island from Hios, Psara, Kasos, Kidonia and Smirni. Syros was the ideal place for them as it was never touched by war and was under the protection of France. From time to time the city, which was named after god Hermes, evolved to an important trade center of the period. In the years of Kapodistrias, Ermoupoli had already start to bloom. In the 19th century the city was the most important trade and navigate center of Greece.
Ermoupolis’ port, due to the island’s geographic position and financial bloom, was for many decades the first trade port of Greece. While walking in the streets of the city, you will be impressed by her style. Behind the port’s road is the famous Miaouli square, with a statue of the homonym hero and the imposing City Hall with the historical staircases, the most photographed sight in the island.
Close to the Municipality Edifice is the Municipal Theater Apollon. Its interior is a miniature of Milan’s Skala. It is worth visiting the church of Saint Nikolaos, the island’s protector. It has a blue cupola and a marble chancel screen. In front of the church is the monument of the Unburied Soldier.
The whole city is a live sightseeing. The traditional beauty of white settlements meets with the glow of baronial mansions and create a magic city. An aristocratic neighborhood of Ermoupolis is Vaporia. They are in the east part of the city. Well-fixed colonists came to the island after the Revolution of 1821. It is said that many of these families came from aristocrats of Byzantium. Most houses in the neighborhood are neoclassic mansions, imposing with a fine interior and marble. The view to the sea is magnificent.
On the top of the hill Dili, is the church of Anastasis and the catholic church of Saint George. While in the hill of Halandriani, in the east edge of Ermoupolis, the excavations brought into light a necropolis. In many graves were found items of the protocycladitic civilization.
Ermoupoli, apart from her beauty and her rich history, distinguishes for her cosmopolitan life. As a capital has many taverns, restaurants and coffeehouses. And as for nightlife, options satisfy all tastes. Bars with greek or foreign music. Clubs with live music. Cinema, theaters and cultural events. And of course Casino, a pole of attraction for many visitors. The city has a lot of shops to buy traditional products and souvenir. Don’t miss buying loukoumia and halvadopites. Shops with the famous products are all along the coast line.
The closest beaches to the city are Kimata and Agios Nikolaos. Buses leave from Ermoupoli and connect the city with the rest summer resorts of the island.