PREHISTORIC SETTLEMENT OF AGIA IRINI
The remains of the Prehistoric settlement of Agia Irini are in the north part of the homonym peninsula. This settlement bloomed at the end of Neolithic Age until the 15th century BC. According to historic sources, it was ruined by a catastrophic earthquake.
As it seems from the important findings and the remains of structures, the region was inhabited for a while during the classic and roman age. Many of the monuments and buildings are dated from the protocycladitic Age and from the middle Copper Age. While those belonging in the post Copper Age are influenced by the mycenaec and minoic civilization.
The most important monuments of the settlement are Dionyssos’ Iero that functioned from 2000 BC to the Hellenistic times.
There are found remains of the sewerage and irrigate system, dated from the 15th century BC.
Part of the fortificative yard with the tower and its gate in the west part of the settlement, were structured in 2000-1500 BC.
The “residence of archon” as it was named the remains of a luxurious residence was found in the settlement and it is built according to Mycenaen type. It is dated from the 16th-15th century BC.
The archaeological site of Karthea is considered one of the most important monuments in the island.
Karthea was one of the four cities flourished in Kea during ancient times. As it seems from the remains of the buildings, the city bloomed. The fortress of the city, the monumental architecture and the silver coins found, show the high cultural level of residents. The city has an acropolis, temples, a cemetery, theatre, public buildings and residences.
The most important monuments of the region are: the temple of Apollo Pithios built in the 5th BC with 6 pillars. Inside the temple were found sculptures and inscriptions.
The temple of Athena is dated from the end of the 6th to the beginnings of the 5th century BC. In the temple were found parts of the decoration Amazonomahia. The walls of Karthea are dated from the 6th century BC. The wall surrounding the city is interrupted by six gates-entrances, from which started ancient roads heading to the rest of the island.
THE TOWER OF AGIA MARINA
The Tower of Agia Marina is located in inner Kea, among the ancient cities of Korissia and Piiessa.
It was built during the Hellenistic period and it is representative sample of a distributive fortress tower. It was of defensive style and it was built to protect residents of the agricultural region.
It is a square, five-storey tower, considered one of the tallest saved ancient buildings with more than 20m height. It made from the local schist and marble.
Big part of the tower collapsed in 1858 from a strong earthquake. Their materials were used to fix other buildings close to it. It is saved in the north part of the tower in good condition.