CHURCHES - MONASTERIES
It is located in Tragea, near village Moni. It is a paleochristianic church with a cupola. In its north side has three small churches attached. In the interior the church has murals of different historic periods. The oldest layer of these murals is dated from the end of the 6th century and from the beginnings of the 7th century. The latest layers of the cupola are dated from the 13th and 14th century.
It is located in village Chalki and it was built during the 9th century. It is a type of cruciform with a cupola church. The west side of it has a narthex with the small church of Saint Akindinos. The church is decorated with murals dated from the paleochristianic to the mesobyzantine and isterobyzantine period.
It is a monastery-fort-located in the highest part of the valley Egares, near village Galili. It was built in 1600 and was the base and shelter of the residents against Francs.
MONASTERY OF SAINT JOHN THE CHRISOSTOME
It is located in the northeast side of Chora (town). It was built in the 17th century and renovated during the18th, when the monastery took its final shape. Saint John's icon is inside the church and was made in 1818.
According to the tradition it's the oldest church of the country. It distinguishes for its beautiful, wooden temple and the precious icons. Most important of them are those of Panagia Vlacherniotissa and of Prophet Elia, made by the painter from Crete, Angelos, El Greco's student.
THE CHURCH OF ZOODOCHO PIGGY
It's the metropolitan church of Naxos. It is located in the Ancient Market. It has remarkable icons and a marvelous temple made of marble. It is believed that the monolithic pillars made from granite were transferred there from the temple of Apollo in Dilo.
The church of Panagia Filotitissa is located in the village Philoti. It's one of the most important churches in Naxos. It has a white temple made of marble and beautiful byzantine icons in its interior. It distinguishes for its impressive bell tower.
It is located in village Apiranthos. It's one of the biggest churches of the island and distinguishes for its temple, made of marble, with the carved drawing and the icons.
THE CHURCH OF PHOTODOTI CHRIST
It is located outside the village of Danakos. It was built during the byzantine times. Distinguishes for its architecture and fortification. Local legends say that it was built by a princess.
THE CHURCH OF SAINT MAMA
The church of Saint Mama is one of the oldest in the island. Approaching it can be a little hard because of the turns in the road. Between mountain Za, Fanari and the mountains of Koronou, in a magnificent position is built the church of Saint Mama. It is dated from the 9th century. It has the shape of a cruciform and a lot of sculptures. It was the Metropolis of Orthodoxy before Francis domination, while in 1207 transmitted into a Catholic Church.
Saint Mama protects shepherds, Cyprus, Asia Minor and Naxo.