Patmos, the holy island of Orthodoxy has a brilliant historic route to show that goes back to centuries. There have been found traces of inhabitance from the prehistoric period.
We know little for the first inhabitants of the island. Patmos was inhabited by Dories and later by Ions.
From the 4th to the 6th BC the island bloomed, as it seems from the remains of the Acropolis in Kastelo hill. The island was named Patnos back then. At the times of the Roman dominance the island is a land of banishment.
Emperor Domitianos banished there Saint John in 95BC. The most brilliant page in the island’s history was written then. During the period of his banishment he wrote the theopneustic work Apocalypses.
Since then Patmos turned into a land of worship, as Christians from all over the world visited it in order to meet the land where Saint John wrote the most ambiguous book in Orthodoxy.
In 1088 the priest and afterwards Osios Christodoulos, asks and gets the holy island from the emperor Alexios Komninos A’ and builds the holy monastery of Saint John Theologos.
In 1207 Patmos was dominated by Venetians and became part of Naxos’ Dukat.
In 1537 Turkish dominate Patmos.
In 1713 Patmiada School is built, where many important personalities went.
In 1821 the island participated to the Revolution but as all Dodecanese remained under the Turkish possession.
In 1912 Italians possess Dodecanese.
In 1948 Patmos incorporates to the rest of Greece.
In 1981 with a special law by the Greek Parliament, Patmos is characterized as a Holy island.
In 1999 Patmos is considered as a Monument of International Cultural Inheritance of UNESCO.