The Medieval Town of Rhodes is a live part of the island’s history, as it is still inhabited and has big tourist development.
It is one of the International Culture Inheritance Monuments of UNESCO. Saint John Knights’ Tagma gave it its current feature during the 14th – 15th century. The town had an interior acropolis (Kastelo), with the buildings of the knights, their churches and the neighborhoods where Greeks and other nationalities used to live.
The most important buildings – sights of the Old Town are:
THE PALACE OF GREAT MAGISTER
The imposing Palace of Magister is in the highest spot of the castle. We meet it at the end of Knights’ road right across the church of Saint John. It was built at the end of the 7th century in order to become the acropolis of the “protobyzantine castle”.
During the 14th century the Knights made structural interventions in the palace in order to make it a suitable residence for the great Magister and the administrative center of the knightly nation. But those changes did not take any of its identity as the acropolis of the Medieval town.
It stayed untouched during the 1522 siege thanks to the strong structure, but was completely ruined after the explosure in the church of Saint John. Italians reconstructed it in 1940, keeping its initial feature.
The most important road of the old town and best saved – at its kind – in Europe. It has a length of 200m and a width of 6m. It leads to the Castle of Great Magister. Along its two sides are built the residences of the Knights, which are divided according to the Tagma they belonged to. Even today in their entrances are saved the blazons.
KNIGHTS HOSPITAL – ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM
It is the most important knightly building in the town. It was initially used to nurse pilgrims of the Holy Lands and the then of the crusades. It started constructing in 1440 by magister de Lastic but was completed by magister D’Aubusson in 1484.
In the biggest part of the upper floor was the big “ward of patients”. In the ground floor were the store rooms and there was an interior staircase. Today, at this place is roofed the town’s archaeological museum, with a big number of sculptures and other art pieces. There are also paleochristianic murals.
It is located in Ippokratous’ square. Kastellania was built in 1597. It is another knightly building which wad the trade center of that time. In its basement operated a special court to solve trade cases.