| The awards for the best greek travel destinations
The Greek Tourism Awards “PHILOXENIA Tourism Awards” were given on November 1st during the opening of the 23rd International Tourist Exhibition Philoxenia.
HELEXPO was the host of this institution, which included these awards in its company’s strategy in order to support the greek tourism.
The travel audience made the judgements through the Philoxenia website. Travelers were more than pleased to vote the best of the greek tourism (the most popular travel destinations – the most popular hotels), since this year were concentrated 60% more votes than last year.
53% of the participants were women, while the rest 47% were men. From those only the 21% had a business relation with tourism.
The most popular travel destinations
Chalkidiki won two prizes for the most popular greek destination. It was designated as the most favorite travel destination and as the friendliest one for families with children.
Magnesia Prefecture with the shores of Pelion and Sporades islands were the most popular for holidays near the sea. The Prefecture of Dodecanese, as and the Prefecture of Chania in Crete were among them also.
Chalkidiki, Kavala and Thassos, Dodecanese islands, Crete and Cyclades were voted as the most popular family destinations.
Pelion won the prize for the most favorite mountainous destination. Next in row were Ioannina, Parnassos, the hilly Pieria and Trikala.
The most favorite urban destination was Thessaloniki, while Volos, Ioannina and Nafplio followed.
Santorini and Mykonos were prized as the most romantic and the best for entertainment destinations respectively.
Travelers with romantic attitude showed their preference to Corfu, Monemvasia, Nafplio and Pelion.
Those who wanted to have fun preferred – except Mykonos island – the cities of Athens, Thessaloniki, as and Paros and Rhodes.
The Ionian beaches were prized for the second year in row. First was once again Porto Katsiki of Lefkada, then the Mirto of Kefalonia, and then the Navagio (Shipwreck) of Zakynthos. Simos of Elafonisos in Laconia and Falarasna of Chania followed at the end.
The folkloric tradition and the special feature of Zagorochoria have gave them the title of the most beautiful traditional settlement.
Nimfeo of Florina, was also prized, the Palios Agios Athanasios in Pela, the Palios Agios Penteleimonas in Pieria, and other villages in Pelion.
Parnasos was prized as the best ski center in Greece. 3 – 5 Pigadia followed, Seli in Imathia, Vasilitsa in Grevena and Kaimaktsalan in Pella Prefecture.
When Greeks want to travel abroad the prefer Europe and mostly the big cities with great history. The most favorite travel destinations are Italy, Austria, Great Britain, France and Spain.
Author: Aspasia Polymerou