It is one of the most important sites in Lefkada. It was built during the 13th century by Ioannis Orsinis in order to protect the island.
Lefkadians, standing at this castle, were trying to push back pirate invasions and Turkish. But in 1479, Turkish managed to hold the castle. A gigantic bridge was built then and held the tubes of the turkish aqueduct that brought water inside the castle. All this work was ruined by the earthquakes. But part of it is saved inside the sea-lake.
In the castle’s yard is saved in pretty good condition the church of Saint Mavra, from which the castle was named.